Housing association has now offered Jason Bolton and Peter Welch temporary housing
After their chimney collapsed yesterday night, two men who live in a building in Nottingham on a busy street say that they do not feel safe. Jason Bolton and Peter Welch live in two separate flats on Woodborough Road. On Monday, 4 December they heard the “biggest bang” of their lives.
Bolton said that he believed snow was falling from the roof. He then noticed bricks sliding down the building and some hitting a van parked in front yesterday afternoon.
Nottinghamshire Live has been highlighting the poor living conditions in the city, as part of its Christmas series.
Woodborough Road, in both directions between Private Road, and Mapperley Rise, was shut yesterday between 5:30pm and 7:20pm due to its unsafetiness. Maintenance worker Mr Bolton said, “We stopped Nottingham yesterday. It was chaos.”
When I opened the window I could see bricks falling off. It’s a good thing no one got hurt because the situation could have turned out differently.
It would have been different if it had happened a couple of hours later and there were shops open. The road is busy. It’s never quiet. There are always cars parked, people walking, and even takeaways.
The retired Mr Welch who lives in the basement said: “It was a fortunate escape. It could have been much more serious had it occurred early in the morning, when children are walking to school.” They were informed that the chimney had collapsed due to weather conditions.
Water was trickling from the ceiling of his bedroom last night, December 4, and Mr Bolton said he did not feel safe in his apartment. The water was drained from the apartment by maintenance, but Mr Bolton still felt unsafe sleeping in his room.
The man said, “I don’t sleep under the sloped roof in my bedroom because it’s too dangerous.” Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service also attended last night following reports.
Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said that: “We responded to an unsafe structure in Woodborough Road Mapperley at 3:47pm, Monday, 4 December. London Road Fire Station responded with aerial ladder platforms and small tools.
Crews left the area around 6:30pm after offering residents a “Safe and Well” Visit. PA Housing has now offered two of their neighbours temporary housing following this ‘frightening’ incident.
Charles Ellis, Executive director of Asset Management for PA Housing said, “Following yesterday’s partial chimney collapse, scaffolding will be erected to ensure that the building can be repaired temporarily. We are providing temporary housing for those affected, and are making every effort to make them as comfortable as we can after this incident.
We will undertake the structural assessment necessary to determine why the chimney is dislodged, and then make the repairs necessary. The condition of the house was assessed in June 2020. We have not had reports about problems with the chimney before.
Roof services are vital for maintaining the longevity and integrity of your home. Roofs may develop problems such as leaks, wear, and damage with age. Have any problem? something that you have been looking for a solution for? Well, if so, we will give you a hand and to get better information, come here The Roof Technician roof replacement services in Toronto. Professional roofing services offer comprehensive solutions including commercial flat roof insulation installation, repair, replacement, and installation of high-quality roofing materials. Expert roofing services can provide a durable and secure roof, whether you are tackling a particular problem or a total overhaul. It will not only increase the value of your home and its structural strength, but it will also protect you from harsh weather conditions.